The NCSHPR posted the following:
The Siskiyou Smokejumper Base in Cave Junction, Oregon, opened in 1943 in response to balloon bombs sent by the Japanese military in an unsuccessful attempt to ignite forest fires along the Oregon Coast. During the war, the base in the Redwood Forest Ranger District was staffed by conscientious objectors. Smokejumpers parachute out of planes into remote forests to fight small fires to keep them from spreading. The base at Cave Junction continued operating after the war as one of four major bases in Montana, Idaho, Washington and Oregon. Its crews responded to thousands of fires in western states. It operated until 1981 when the U.S. Forest Service centralized Oregon smokejumping operations in Redmond, Oregon. The base, which is now the Siskiyou Smokejumper Base Museum, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places – NPS in 2006. Oregon Heritage and other National Conference of State Historic Preservation Officers members help preserve the places that tell the story of the men and women who have placed their lives in jeopardy to fight wildfires.